Thursday, September 23, 2010

THE ALLEGORY OF THE CAVE

In Plato's "Allegory of the cave ", Socrates referred, "the prison-house is the world of sight, the light of the fire is the sun" and he also illustrates:" in the world of knowledge the idea of Good appears last of all "

This incredible fable show us how hard going from the darkness of the ignorance to the light of consciousness is;
to be the guide trying to take people on the way of knowledge is not always either welcome or appreciated by others; the most of the time we prefer to live in "the prison-house" than to pay the high prize for getting free. And why does it happen? Just because in our arrogance we think we know all we need to know, and we can not see beyond what in front of our noses is. The curious thing about all of this is that we can not know what we haven't see.

My place in the Cave:
Reading this allegory I can say that I am just starting the ascent to get out of the dark.  Personally I can feel it is going to be hard,  actually I start feeling the pain but I really wish to get to see the Light.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Monica. I think your writting style is very creative. That's a good thing. Eventually it's more improtant to be creative than knowing all the technics or fancy vocabs.As I read your summary, I thought that you understood the meaning of the Allegory of the cave. However, I think this is more like a Reflection paragraph.If I didn't know the Allegory of the cave and read it, this summary would not explain to me clearly.Anyway, Keep it up and good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Is the main idea (thesis) of the passage clearly and correctly stated?
    Not clearly and correctly
    2. Are the important supporting ideas stated correctly and fully?

    No, not fully.



    3. Are all (or nearly all) unimportant ideas excluded?
    some of stuff is not necessarry.


    4. Is the summary in the writer’s own words?
    Yes, it is. She uses her own word.


    5. Is the summary written with few grammar/spelling/style errors?
    Yes, there are sevral mistakes.
    Noses is = noses are
    haven't see = haven't seen

    6. Does the summary retain the sense and organization of the original passage?
    Yes, it does.

    7. Is personal opinion included in the summary?

    Yes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Monica--

    I have to agree with hironori. If I read your summary, I would not be sure what the Allegory was all about.

    ReplyDelete